Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery 3rd edition
Basic and clinical sciences of the equine athlete
- A paraître
Description détaillée : Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery 3rd edition
Equine Sports Medicine & Surgery, 3rd Edition provides a comprehensive guide to exercise physiology and training within a clinical context, along with a detailed review of all diseases affecting horses used in racing and competition.
Not only does this text discuss the physiological responses of each body system to exercise, but it covers nutritional support, the prevention of exercise-induced disorders and lameness, and modification of training regimens.
New to this edition are topics such as drug effects on performance and the use of cloud-based technologies for monitoring performance. Written by an expert team of international authors led by Dr.Kenneth W. Hinchcliff, this authoritative, all-in-one resource is also available as an eBook on Expert Consult.
What is the content of "Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery 3rd edition" ?
- Comprehensive coverage is based on sound research and evidence-based practice, and provides an understanding of the physiologic processes underlying the responses of horses to exercise and physical conditioning, from musculoskeletal and respiratory disorders to nutrition and physical rehabilitation.
- International perspective on equine athletics includes guidelines pertinent to different geographic areas and racing jurisdictions.
- Complementary and alternative therapies are explored, as well as physical therapy and chiropractic therapy for athletic horses.
- Coverage of abnormalities of the upper airway is now divided into two chapters: Disease of the Nasopharynx and Diseases of the Larynx and Trachea.
- Coverage of diseases of the heart is divided into two chapters: Arrhythmias in Equine Athletes and Structural Heart Disease of Equine Athletes.
- Nearly 900 drawings and clinical photos depict equine anatomy, testing, and treatment scenarios.
- High-quality artwork includes new radiographic, ultrasonographic, CAT scan, and MRI images to aid understanding and diagnosis.
- Expert Consult website includes a fully searchable version of the entire text with each new print purchase.
New chapters in this edition include:
- History of Equine Exercise Physiology
- Farriery and Shoeing of the Equine Athlete
- Transportation of Athletic Horses
- Investigating Causes of Death During Exercise
- Behaviour and Behavioural Abnormalities in Horses Used for Racing and Competition
- Welfare of Horses Used in Racing and Competition
- The Connected Horse on innovative, cloud-based technologies used to monitor horses during racing/competition and training
- Track and Course Design
- Principles of Regulation of Drug Use in Competition Horses
- Detection of Drug Use in Performance Horses
- Drug Effects on Performance
- Epidemiology and Control of Infectious Diseases in Populations of Equine Athletes.
Who are the authors of "Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery 3rd edition" ?
Kenneth W Hinchcliff, BVSc, MS, PhD, DACVIM (Large Animal), Dean Emeritus Veterinary Clinical Centre Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences The University of Melbourne ; Australia
Andris J. Kaneps, DVM, MS, PhD, Diplomate ACVS, DACVSMR, Owner, Kaneps Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery, Beverly, MA, USA
Raymond J. Geor, BVSc, MVSc, PhD Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (Large Animal) Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Nutrition (Honorary) Diplomate, American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, Professor and Chairperson, Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA
Emmanuelle Van Erck-Westergen, DVM PhD DECEIM, Equine Sports Medicine Practice, Waterloo, Belgium
À PARAÎTRE OU DERNIÈRE PARUTION DANS LA MÊME CATÉGORIE :
- A paraître
Sommaire : Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery 3rd edition
Section 1: Integrative physiology and exercise testing
NEW! History of equine exercise physiology
The horse as an athlete
Laboratory exercise testing
Exercise testing in the field
Genetic basis of equine performance NEW! Farriery and shoeing of the equine athlete
NEW! Transportation of athletic horses
Section 2: Musculoskeletal system
Epidemiology of orthopaedic diseases in athletic horses
Muscle physiology: responses to exercise and training
Muscle disorders of equine athletes
Skeletal physiology: responses to exercise and training
Tendon and ligament physiology
Biomechanics of locomotion in the athletic horse
Joint physiology: response to exercise and training
Kinematics of lameness
Diagnosis of lameness
Diseases of the foot
Distal limb: fetlock and pastern
Elbow and shoulder
Tarsus and stifle
Soft tissue: tendinitis and desmitis
Back and pelvis
Repetitive strain injuries of the skeleton in high performance equine athletes
Pharmacotherapy of the joint and tendon disease
Neurologic gait abnormalities in the athletic horse
Section 3: Respiratory system
Upper airway function of normal horses during exercise
Abnormalities of the upper airway
Disease of the nasopharynx and Diseases of the larynx and trachea.
Lower airway function: response to exercise and training
Inflammatory diseases of the lower airway of athletic horses
Exercise-induced pulmonary hemorrhage (EIPH)
Viral respiratory disease in athletic horses
Section 4: Cardiovascular system
Heart and vessels: function during exercise and training adaptations
Diseases of the heart and vessels: Arrhythmias in equine athletes and structural heart disease of equine athletes.
Section 5: Metabolism and nutrition
Metabolic responses to exercise and training
Endocrine function during exercise and response to training
Nutrition for the equine athlete: nutrient requirements and key principles in ration design
Nutrition for the equine athlete: above and beyond nutrient requirements
Section 6: Fluids and electrolytes
Body fluids and electrolytes: responses to exercise and training
Acid-base physiology at rest, during exercise and in response to training
Abnormalities of body fluids and electrolytes in athletic horses
Thermoregulation and exercise-associated heat illnesses
Section 7: Hematology and immunology
Hematologic and serum biochemical responses to exercise and training
Abnormalities of the erythron
Exercise and immunity in horses
NEW! Investigating causes of death during exercise
Section 8: Gastrointestinal System
Gastrointestinal diseases of athletic horses
Section 9: Veterinary management of the performance horseVeterinary aspects of training Thoroughbred racehorses
Veterinary aspects of training horses used for harness racing (trotters and pacers)
Veterinary aspects of training event horses
Veterinary aspects of training dressage horses
Veterinary aspects of training and racing endurance horses
Veterinary aspects of training and competing polo horses
Veterinary aspects of training and competing Western performance horses
Veterinary aspects of training the showjumping horse
Investigating causes of death during exercise
NEW! Behaviour and behavioural abnormalities in horses used for racing and competition.
NEW! Welfare of horses used in racing and competition
NEW! The connected horse ? discussing innovative, cloud-based technologies for use in monitoring horses during racing/competition and training
NEW! Track and course design Veterinary aspects of the aged equine athlete
Anesthesia of the equine athlete
NEW! Principles of regulation of drug use in competition horses
NEW! Detection of drug use in performance horses
NEW! Drug effects on performance
Emergency procedures and first aid for equine athletes
Reproductive management of the athletic horse
NEW! Epidemiology and control of infectious diseases in populations of equine athletes
Examination of the equine athlete prior to purchase
Section 10: Physical therapy and rehabilitation
Manual therapy and exercise for athletic horses
Equine rehabilitation: chiropractic therapy for athletic horses
Physical treatment of the equine athlete
Appendix 1a - Reference ranges for the leukogram of athletic horses
Appendix 2 - Reference ranges for serum biochemical variables in athletic horses
Auteur(s): Equine Sports Medicine and Surgery 3rd edition
Du même auteur :
Expédition dès parution
Bénéficiez de la remise de 5% en choisissant le retrait en magasin
d'achats en France Métropolitaine
sous 14 jours ouvrés
Lundi au Vendredi : de 10h à 18h30
au 04 67 63 62 19 ou par email