The Atlas of Tumor Pathology has a long and distinguished history. It was first conceived at a Cancer Research Meeting held in St.Louis in september 1947 as an attempt to standardize the nomenclature of neoplastic diseases. The first series was sponsored by The National Academy of Sciences-National Research Council. The organization of this Sisyphean effort was entrusted to the Subcommittee on Oncology of the Committee on Pathology, and Dr.Arthur Purdy Stout was the first editor-in-chief. Many of the illustrations were provided by the Medical Illustration Service of Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP), the type was set by the Gouvernment Printing Office, and the final printing was done at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology....Steven G Silverberg.